Tuesday

Harold S. Greene said it best when he stated that "Leadership is practiced not so much in words as in attitudes and actions." But what he might not have added was that although leadership is practiced in attitudes and actions, it can also help shape a person, and teach them great values and skills. I even proved it to myself, through myself. This year, I am Volunteering with the Mount Pearl Crime Prevention Committee, and have been elected Level Two Rep for the Mount Pearl Senior High Student Council, also I have been accepted onto the Mount Pearl Youth Action Team. By volunteering on these committees I have learned and developed many leadership skills and qualities, and have learned how to be a better leader. Being a leader is to understand people, and involve them to help you do a job. You also have to learn through various characteristics such as determination, knowledge, skill, integrity, etc. to not accept failure and use each situation as a learning oppurtunity. I have been fortunate to have learned this, this year. My job is to not only bring ideas to the table for community events and school events, but to also motivate people to help within their comminity, and take part in creating a great events to benifit everyone. Being a leader isn't to produce followers, but to help create more leaders. By becoming a leader in my school and community, I have been able to try to accomplish that. Like I said previously, I proved how leadership can shape a person and their skills, values, attitudes and actions, through myself by taking a part and being involved. And I think that everyone should be involved in any way possible. Because it's the youth who needs to be prepared to run our future.

1 comment:

  1. Great entry, Kiersten!

    It's great that you use your leadership commitees as learning experiences. You'll definitely improve your leadership skills there. Even if something does go wrong, there's always a valuable lesson to be learned!

    I look forward to your next entry :)

    ReplyDelete